Hi there! This week I have an old recipe probably long forgotten but let’s revive it! If you like desserts that are sweet, tart and a little “boozy” then you’ll like this one. I found this recipe while I was doing some research for another dish. I found it so interesting that I made it. Then I made it again until I reached the flavor I wanted. This Lemon Shaker Pie uses the entire lemon peel and all (well, not the seeds). Lol I used Meyers lemons but feel free to use regular lemons. Meyer lemons are sweeter as they are a cross between a regular lemon and a mandarin orange. Most of the time they are smaller and a little more round other lemons. Also, their skin is smoother and thinner. I love them! Use your favorite pie crust recipe or store bought crust is just fine. For added flavor serve with a lavender or homemade vanilla ice cream.
3 Meyers lemon sliced paper-thin (no seeds)
Juice of 1 regular lemon
Zest of 1 regular lemon
2 cups sugar, granulated
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (or lemon liqueur)
4 eggs + 1egg
double 9-inch pie crust
Whipped topping or ice cream
1 tablespoon of water
Method of Preparation
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Place thinly sliced lemon in a shallow dish. Pour the liqueur and lemon juice over the slices and cover with the sugar. Refrigerate lemon slices overnight.
- When ready to cook remove the lemons from the refrigerator and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Stir. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, gently beat the eggs, water and zest together. Set aside.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 pie crust. Stir the lemon mixture into the eggs until thoroughly incorporated. Top with the second pie crust. Seal the edges. (Here’s your chance to be creative with the edges.) Cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top of the pie with the eggs wash and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes checking the edges of the crust after a few minutes. If the edges are browning too quickly, use a pie-edge cover or aluminum foil to cover the edges and continue baking until done. When done, remove the pie from the oven and serve very warm or allow to cool slightly and serve at room temperature.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!